Periodontal or gum disease is an infection of the tissues that hold teeth in place. It is caused due to poor oral hygiene that allows plaque to build-up on the teeth and hardens. It can lead to sore, bleeding gums, painful chewing problems and tooth loss.
Your mouth is full of bacteria along with mucus and other particles which form a sticky, colorless “plaque” on teeth. Brush and floss your teeth regularly twice a day. Plaque hardens and forms “tartar” that cannot be cleaned by brushing. A professional dentist in Sakatoon and Watrous can only remove tartar.
There are many reasons for gum disease. Smoking is the most significant and others include diabetes, certain illnesses and medications, etc.
The symptoms of gum disease-
- Bad breath won’t go away easily
- Red or swollen gums
- Tender or bleeding gums
- Painful chewing
- Loose and sensitive teeth
- Receding gums or longer appearing teeth
The dentist will-
- Examine gums and note the signs of inflammation
- Uses a tiny ruler known as “probe” to check and measure any pockets around the teeth
- Ask about your medical history to identify conditions that may contribute to gum disease
The dental professional also include-
- Perform an x-ray to see if there is any bone loss.
- Refers to a Periodontist.
The Periodontist is experts in the diagnosing and treating gum disease and provides you with treatment options that are not offered by the dentist.
The main aim of the treatment is to control the infection. There are various types of treatment depending on the extent of gum disease.
All the treatment requires the patient to keep up good daily care at home. The dentist suggests changing certain behaviours, such as quit smoking to achieve treatment results.
Keep your teeth and gum healthy by following-
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss regularly to remove plaque stick between the teeth. Dental professional recommends using a device such as a special brush, wooden or plastic pick or a water flosser.
- Visit the dentist for a regular check-up and professional cleaning.
- Quit smoking.